Wisdom is knowing what to do, skill is knowing how to do it. Virtue is doing it.”David Starr Jordan
With 40 years of business management/leadership/ownership experience, wisdom is an ever-present deliverable in Rick Speckmann’s work. He is quick to smile when referring to his wisdom because of the many lessons he’s learned throughout his career. He quips, “Those hard lessons of ‘wrong’ decisions proved pretty expensive. Thankfully, I am a determined optimist, so I just kept trying. I ultimately leveraged that experiential learning into a set of skills that delivered a series of remarkable successes. The virtue in that is I can pass forward those ‘best practices’ to our members.” Rick’s leadership responsibilities include roundtable development, outplacement services, strategic planning facilitation, and executive coaching.
High energy, an optimistic outlook, and an insatiable appetite for “raising the bar” of performance are among Rick’s strongest traits. With a diverse background in nine different industries Rick brings a broad spectrum of skills to the MRA team. Past experiences in five companies as a founder, partner, and manager honed his skills as a decisive leader, strategist, marketer, and developer of talent.
- Owned and led four companies through triple digit growth, achieving industry-leading retention rates of more than 92 percent.
- As CEO of a human performance consulting company, delivered executive and manager coaching, strategic planning, team building, and corporate culture assessments for hundreds of business leaders and their companies. Wrote extensively on those subjects.
- Partnered in a retained search firm—interviewed over 10,000 professionals.
- Played a key role in the development and facilitation of 10 CEO roundtable groups. Developed and facilitated three CFO roundtables.
Rick earned a bachelor’s degree in sociology from St. Johns University, Collegeville, Minnesota.
Professional and Community Activities
- Served for 12 years on the board of directors of a public company. Member of the audit committee and chair of the compensation and governance/nominating committees.
- Co-led the development and expansion of 15 CEO/President, and CFO roundtables.
- Delivered over 300 keynote speeches and workshops on leadership and development, strategic planning, employee branding to HR and trade associations.
- Alumni board member St. John’s University, Collegeville, Minnesota.