“You can do good by doing good.” Inspiring words spoken by Judd Schemmel, Associate Vice President of American Family Insurance, who recently presented at MRA’s Creating Winning Cultures event. He talked about the undeniable culture transformation within the organization.
While working hard to make a culture change, the company’s profitability took a dramatic turn for the better. In 2011 the American Family Enterprise was valued at $5.8 billion, in 2018, it was valued at $11.6 billion. How you ask? By being about the how. Leadership answered some tough questions:
- How does our company show up in the community?
- How is what our organization is doing genuine and consistent?
- How does that affect our brand?
And today, how American Family shows up in the community is impressive.
- There’s the Dreams Foundation, which gives away about $10.5 million a year.
- Then there’s the Steve Stricker American Family Insurance Foundation. The foundation’s Tour of Champion’s event made an impressive $7 million in donations to the communities around Dane County, Wisconsin since the tournament started.
- American Family sponsors teams in the National Football League, Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, the PGA, UW Athletics and Summerfest, (where they are the presenting sponsor and host the Am Fam Amphitheater).
- American Family also developed The Milwaukee Vision - #AmFaMKE, with the goal to reinvent Milwaukee as the strong urban workplace that it is.
These partnerships conjure up incredible passion and love within the communities they serve, and American Family is tapping into that passion through fans and consumers. By making places better and providing opportunities, Am Fam cements itself as a strong corporate citizen while driving the insurance company’s brand and bottom line. Simply put, everyone wins.
Judd finished by saying,
“At the end of the day, we want people to say that their community is better because American Family is a part of it, that it’s a part of the fabric.”
If more companies acted like this, imagine the possibilities.