Valentine’s Day is this Thursday, and it seems that people either love it or loathe it. Because of this, things can get tricky if your office celebrates on the 14th. Here are some workplace dos and don’ts to make sure all goes well on this day of love.
- Don’t overdo it with heart and cupid decorations slathered all over the place. You are a professional establishment after all. However, a few well-placed pieces that nod to Valentine’s Day wouldn’t be too over the top.
- Don’t flip out if you get a Valentine’s delivery of flowers, chocolates, stuffed animals or a combo of all three. While super sweet and exciting, no one likes a show off. And there’s a good chance, unbeknownst to you, that a co-worker of yours is mending a broken heart and counting the minutes until this day is over.
- You have romantic plans this evening? Great! But don’t wear your evening outfit to work. You may think that pink sequined dress will be festive all day long. It won’t. Bring it to change into after hours.
- Do consider having an office activity. Our favorite one is “The Wall of Love” and it’s really easy to do. First, pick a large wall in a common space. Next, put out different colored post-it notes and markers. Those interested can write on a post-it note what they love about their job and then stick it to the wall. If you’re really into it, you can arrange the notes into a V-Day shape, like a heart, an arrow, even cupid!
- Sweets are fantastic any day of the year, so have some tasty treats in the break room. Chocolates, cookies, cupcakes - all winners and will be appreciated by everyone (even the loathers!)
- Tell someone when they do a good job. Smile. Be kind… Okay, you got us. This is for every day, but it’s a good reminder to show people the love all year long.